February 03, 2009

If you want to see a good movie...



...don't pass up Slumdog Millionare. I love it when acclaimed movies carry the story line of redemption. There is something within us all that yearns for old to become new, for dirty to become clean, for impoverished to become provided for, for lost to become found. I don't think Hollywood can stay away from it because it is so much a part of our being human. We know that something about this world is not quite right. Children being abused, people living in shacks, innocent being named guilty... whether we believe in an absolute truth or not-- no one can arguably say that these situations are right. We all long for those situations to be restored or made amends for.

What a joy that we can find redemption in the person of Jesus... "in whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace." (Eph 1:7). Not only redemption for our souls... but for the whole earth! I like how Revelation 21 puts it:

1Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. 2And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. 3And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God. 4 He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away."

5And he who was seated on the throne said, "Behold, I am making all things new." Also he said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true." 6And he said to me, "It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the thirsty I will give from the spring of the water of life without payment. 7 The one who conquers will have this heritage, and I will be his God and he will be my son.


What a day we have to look forward to! I pray that I'm a part of bringing heaven to earth right now in this moment, too.

Anyway... if you're looking for a good movie and a moving story of redemption, don't miss out on this movie! Sometimes award winning shows are a little too over my head or just push the line in general, but this one is well worth any award it wins. Go watch for yourself!

1 comment:

Robert and Tiffany Adams said...

We have been wanting to see it, and now I really want to go. Thanks so much for the reminder of God's wonderful redemption plan!